Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Teen Times

The little kids are getting ready for school early today. For some reason, they were excited that they may be waking up to snow. They watched the weather report last night, so it seemed likely they were right. Now that the sun is up, they realized there is no snow this morning, but they are ready for it. I have 4 kids waiting for the bus that could be mistaken for fat penguins.

Now the two oldest are entirely different. We had to call Tyler back to the house from the bus stop this morning to take his medication. He saunters in, (attitude all the way) with a T-shirt and hoodie. It is not even 30 degrees out there today.
I have no idea what Nicole was wearing. I may be afraid to know.

I am still trying to figure out why I let them pick out a winter coat, and paid for it, when they refuse to wear them. I think something incredibly wrong happens in a brain when it turns 13. I think science has found this to be true, but not only do they quit thinking, I guess all other sensations cease also. They are too cool to feel cold, although as soon as it's 55 degrees out, Tyler wants to stop wearing shirts around the house, and Nicole is ready to pull out all the shorts and mini-skirts. Maybe my teenagers are just hot-blooded.

I asked Mike why we had teenage attitude this morning. He said the older kids were mad that the younger ones were up so early. What? I guess they feel like they "own" the house in the morning, since they have to be out the door an hour earlier than the younger ones. I am not sure where that was written in our family contract, but there it is, rearing its ugly head in our kitchen his morning. It comes out in curt answers, rolling eyes and stomping out the front door to meet their bus.

However, the younger ones are excited, happy, and not having to rush at all this morning. I like that.

I think tomorrow I will wake them up earlier...just to show the teenagers that they can adapt to the "little" ones just fine.

Oy, the household that shelters teenagers can be rocky. But thankfully, teenagers don't last forever.

Another thing to be thankful for this morning!

No comments: