Sunday, January 2, 2011

Another New Year - Welcome 2011

It hardly seems possible that I am standing at the beginning of another new year. Honestly, the time just flies by anymore.

I decided to start the blogging this year with an update on the family.
The baby always comes first.

In our family this year, we hope to welcome a sweet African boy, just turned 2 years old in November. He has severe delays, but sooooo much potential. I can not wait to add a picture as soon as the details are worked out. He is already a huge part of our hearts and home. Updates to follow...

Then Bella. She is the darling in the house right now. Funny,stubborn and spoiled rotten. We love her personality, and it is a guarantee that no one will ever take advantage of her. She is a wrestling buddy to Tommy, rough and tumble all the way. She sings most every conversation, and has an intuitive streak through her entire body. She picks up on most anything said around her, and can tell me what mood I am in before I can determine it myself. Her biggest leading line right now, is, "Right, mom?" I can hardly believe she will be 4 years old next month. The time really has flown by. In September this year, she will be able to go to preschool. She sure seems academically ready. Her biggest challenge will be leaving me. We have a deep attachment. I love her deeply.

Tommy is next in line. Oh, Tommy. My daughter in law says he's ALL boy. That's the nicest thing anyone ever says about him. We choose to take him off of all the behaviour meds this fall, and are soooo glad we did. He had become an angry, frustrated little soul, and none of that made sense to us. He is much happier now, and back to his mischevious self. He rarely stops moving, although he loves puzzles, building blocks and the bunny, Oliver. He has been making cages out of the set of waffle blocks and carrying the bunny around in them. He likes our teenage puppy, Carl, but Carl mostly likes Tommy for the food he carries around. Tom has gotten "attacked" more than once, while Carl bounces off with the treat. I love Tommy, not so much Carl. Tommy is officially 6 1/2 now, and recently told me he will not be a good big brother to our new baby. When we asked why, he said he doesn't know how to be a good big brother. I told him he was a good big brother to Bella and he said that's different. She's a girl. Huh? We promised to help him. He was cool with that. He's smart, compassionate and sensitive. He usually gets in trouble by being stubborn and impulsive. I love that boy.

Meredith. Wow. What a change this year. She celebrated her 7th birthday two days after Christmas. For some reason, her birthdays always catch us off guard! But this year, she was all about celebrating it, so an impromptu party at her favorite Chuck E Cheese Pizza place was the high time for her. She had picked out a pretty cake at the bakery with a big pink flower and a big purple flower. Perfect. She got a dalmation dog that barks and whines. Like we needed that! But she also got 3 Barbies and a Barbie pool with a swimming dog! Her favorite though was the two hundred tickets at the pizza place and the penny toys that filled the treat bag from there. Amazing. She learned to put her own written sentences together this holiday, a major milestone for her. It said: "sumdogsrnyc an sumdogsrmeen." Or, translated: Some dogs are nice, and some dogs are mean. Good job, my sweet kindergartener! She is girly, and way too worried about being pretty. She loves dresses and baths, but was not super impressed with her manicure/pedicure she got in November. That was just "freaky" to her. Sitting next to her means there is usually a hand or feet under or behind me, and she is always invading my space. She has no personal "bubble" and is constantly hugging someone who would rather not be hugged. She's a love bug. I can not imagine life without her in it. I love her.
She's my preemie turned big girl. What a hoot!

Tara, Tara, Tara. She's just one girl, but enough personality and spunk for 3 gals. She is doing great in the second grade, and loves school. She has been getting occupational therapy at school for the weakness in her hands. It's amazing how much better she's doing. I am thankful for her therapist, Amy, and the work she does with her. Plus, Tara loves it and thinks it's all for fun. She is high spirited, but is more controlled than she used to be. She loves TV and dogs, but prefers the stuffed type. She learned to ride a bike this year, and the freedom that brought her at the campgrounds. She has learned to enjoy her crafts and coloring, now that her hands are getting stronger. She is giggly or whiney, alternating between the two all day long. She is not attached to a specific blankie any more, but always has some sort of blankie with her all the time. She plays best with kids younger than herself, and loves playing Veteranarian. She may just become a Pet Doctor some day. She drew a picture for me today with a frog that says, "Kiss Me." I looked up to her smile, and realized she was waiting for a kiss. I hugged her tight and kissed her. The way she cuddles in now is an answer to our prayers. For a Reactive Attachment Disorder(RAD) kid, she is showing fabulous progress. I love her so much, and we are pleased with her progress. She is a beautiful, blue-eyed blonde daughter.

My Nelly is next. Nelly is going to be twelve this April. It doesn't seem possible. She has a sweet personality, and loves babies and little kids. She has been able to help with my cousins kids this holiday, and really enjoyed her "job" of watching the babies while my niece was able to do some deep cleaning. She wants to become a teacher some day and I can see that happening. She struggles in school so much, but mostly because she won't turn in the work she gets done. I am not really sure why she struggles with it. She tests well. We work hard at home trying to keep her organized and on task. It's definately her biggest struggle. She is known for her ability to make a friend where ever she goes. She fills her life with "I (heart) you" on everything, and she means it. She still likes her Build A Bears and Bratz dolls, a refreshing change from alot of preteens we know. She loves to read, and her favorite stories are mysteries. She reads all the time, and loves cookies and milk. We are constantly relying on her to help the little kids with the homework. She thrives on it. And they respond really well to her "teaching" them. It's a sweet mix. She is learning how to be a preteen, learning hair care and the whole new world of face wash and shower gel. What a fun time! She is a precious girl, and we love her so very much. She adds joy to our home and lives.

Nicole became a teenager this past November. If I were smart, I would stop right there. I don't really like this stage. The good things are there, they just tend to be hidden behind the smart mouth, the attitude of "I KNOW EVERYTHING" and mom and dad have become really stupid this year. She is creative, learning to sew, and draws phenomenally for her age. She sees the world through the lens of a teenager, and when she grows up,it will be fun to remind her how perfect she was at 13 (grin!). What she forgets is that I have "been there, done that" and teenagers don't scare me at all anymore. She is tall, beautiful and funny. Most of the time I want to choke her (lol) but sometimes we have meaningful conversations and I am reminded that she's the one who started this whole adoption thing in our family. I wouldn't change it for anything! She wants to be a fashion designer, and I want her to work hard in school so she's not limited in anyway to accomplish anything she sets her mind to. I love her, I hate the stage she's in, but I am soooo thankful she came to our family when she did. And, thankfully, the teen years don't last forever!

Tyler. Now 14, he has surpassed me in height, but I still have him in weight! (tee hee). He's tall and thin, working on his abs and the infamous six pack in his exersize routines. We joined the local YMCA again this year, and his favorite thing to do it walk around all the equipment, trying his hand at a few things from time to time. He says he can't focus because of his ADHD. I think he has learned to talk like a jock. He definately thinks he is one (lol). He loves sports, talking back, bossing the little ones, and reading. He can kill a book in no time, and loves discussing the story he read. He is super smart, but his grades don't always reflect his intelligence. He still doesn't know why it's so important to turn his homework in. He is taking his SAT this month, a great practice for him. He's in
8th grade,and will enter the high school this fall. He has grown so much since he came to our family at 9 years old, and not just in inches. He is funny, aggravating, and strong. He plans to follow in his big brothers footsteps in the Coast Guard, so that is alot of our conversations. I have had to learn to love him, and at times it has not been easy, but I know he hasn't always loved us either.
We have learned alot about how adoption grows a family. We have all grown.

The big kids are all doing well. Scott and Britt and the three boys have a nice big house in New Jersey, and the kids loved their unusual winter snow fall last week. They sledded and played outside in what they usually get here on a winter vacation! Scott is looking at their options for their last year in the Coast Guard, and should find out soon where and when they will be moving. I, of course, hope it's still in a decent driveable distance! Kaid is 5, Keegy is 3 and Keano is almost 15 months. They are embarking on an Ethiopian adoption journey this year, and we are so excited to see who our next grandchild may be!

Jen and Jer are in Oregon, and I have my flight booked for early next month to be out there for her first art show! I can't wait to go see her space, her haunts and her friends. I am really excited to have the time with just her! She is creative, sensitive and a beautiful daughter. I will have to fill you in on my trip out there when I get back!

Ash and Andy are the ones we see the most of. I love having her close to home. She cleans for me twice a week, but mostly she is responsible for keeping me organized. She is great at that. She's in college trying to get her teaching degree, and the rest of the time she's creating art or raising chickens and ducks.

I love each of the kids and appreciate them for the souls they are. Each one is precious to me. I am so grateful for them all. It's like the ending of Lake Woebegone, when Garrison Keeler describes the residents there. I would say, here, the girls are all beautiful, the men handsome, and we wouldn't trade a single one of them for all the treasures on earth.

I thank God for Mike, who works hard to keep our family together. He loves me at my most unloveable times, and stays faithful to our relationship. He joins me in saying we are the most blessed of all with our children, their children and our lives together as a family.

Happy New Year. I plan to live this year with no regrets.

No comments: