Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What makes me the Saddest

Sadness is an emotion that can drag a person to the depths of darkness. I try really hard to be an upbeat person, but there are times in my life where sadness overshadows my optimism and I find it hard to shake the pain that wants to defeat me.

I realize there are alot of things going on around me that is great. My kids are meshing in our home, in spite of alot of things that could be seen as obstacles to that process. They have some struggles from their difficult starts to life, but they also are dealing with normal issues for children their ages, and I love that. They are learning to be "normal" kids ...whatever that means!

My husband works hard, in spite of the atmosphere in our local economy that hit his sales career too. He never grumbles about working harder, longer hours, well after he puts the kids to bed, and before they ever get up in the morning. I am proud of his dedication to "keep on keeping on" and his ability to let negative comments fall away. He keeps his mind on taking care of us, his family, and I am proud of that.

My parents, though aging and dealing with their own issues, are still with us and we love being able to meet them for a breakfast on the weekends, or enjoy a visit when they drop by. I am thankful we both have our parents, and realize these days are numbered. In the broad scheme of life, we all know days are fleeting at best, and we are all aware of just how precious each contact is.

My biggest kids, all doing well and loving life, and my darling grandsons thrill me with every single video, phone call and contact. I am grateful in a busy world that each of my kids still phone and send emails, and find ways to stay connected. I know some families don't have that, and I cherish it deeply.

So what makes me sad?
I read a blog I follow with great interest, of an orphanage in Liberia, West Africa, that is doing its level best to make a difference in the lives of orphans there. One of the children, a beautiful little girl, with Cerebral Palsy (manageable condition with therapy and support in America) has just lost her life due to contracting malaria. She died. She should be living.

I know several people who struggled throughout the holiday season, missing loved ones who left this earth entirely too soon, some with great promise of a productive future, had they been able to live it.

I heard of a young man who just lost his father due to health issues that went unnoticed by his doctor, until it was just too late. Too late for him, and a tragic story of a young man who will miss his father like crazy for the rest of his life.

And then there is the daily stuff that totally destroys some people. Their inability to face their giants, and slay them, or their mindset that life is just too difficult to deal with in a productive way, so they slam their "life is bad" attitudes around, like broken furniture, for others to fall over or get hurt on.

It's normal for people to be upset when life hands them lemons, but sometimes we need to quit sitting around waiting to see how many lemons we can gather, and just get up, get out, and make the positive changes that need to be made to make a happy life for ourselves.

None of us are perfect, and everyone has stuff to deal with. So, it makes me sad when I see people NOT deal with their issues, and I am sad that I keep tripping over their broken furniture and getting hurt, when all I really want to do is see them succeed.

Life is short. I want to see happiness around me. I am not oblivious to the fact that for alot of people, life, at times, is hard. But there are also other times I want to shake some people and scream, "Life is pretty dog gone good for you, so grow up and see real suffering in front of you. Most of us in America are severly blessed. Start to appreciate what you have."

I hate it that I can not make a difference in some sadness.
And I hate it that some people can't let go of it and learn to be happy.
I am sad to be tripping over broken furniture, broken lives. Especially when we don't have to.

No comments: