Monday, May 24, 2010

Summer

I took some wonderful video earlier this afternoon of the 3 youngest. They had filled up an old pool that was in the barn, and they were running, jumping and splashing in the cold water.

Today we saw over 90 degree heat, and the humidity is daunting to me. But as I watched them play and splash and giggle, it made me remember my own childhood of running through the yellow sprinkler, or jumping into the three foot pool. The idea of hot summer days and cool (or cold!!) water just brings a smile to my face.

This summer will mark some interesting times in our family.
The oldest at home, Tyler, is old enough this year for a farm job. He applied for corn detasseling. The only requirement was to be 13. His dad took him to the next town over for the application process, helped him fill out all the employment paperwork and waited while he picked up all the colorful brochures that talk about how much money he will earn this summer!

Just think of all that money!! I have never had a detasseling job, but in this area, there is no lack of stories from people who have.

"Toughest job in the world."
"Best thing for a young man."
"He'll be exhausted."
"Does he have any clue how hard he's gonna work for that money?"

Yeah, I think the same things. Tyler is really wanting to be cool about it, but the main thing is, he has to be reminded to do his daily chores around here, and they are NOTHING compaired to the work this company will expect from his hands!!

He showed me the paperwork when he got home. I said, "Oh, you'll make $7.25 per hour. You will wonder if that's worth it when you are toiling in that hot summer sun!"

He replies, "We'll I read the stuff they gave me, and honestly, it just doesn't look that hard to me."

I told him to file the paperwork somewhere safe, because that is now his responsiblity as a "working man." He said, "You can put it somewhere." Oh, no, it is HIS responsibility. Step one.

My youngest son, Tommy, was playing the Wii today. He said, "I am good at this game. I was born a winner."

I love that approach to life. Born a winner.

And although I believe this could be the toughtest summer that Tyler may possibly ever endure, his attitude at this point is priceless. Sure, it's gonna be really hard. He'll see. But, he is just like his younger brother, brought together in a family that believes you can do anything you set your mind to, if you want it bad enough. Yes, Tyler, you to, were born a winner. I think you will prove to yourself that hard work never hurt anybody, and maybe, just maybe, you'll like that big money even more because you worked so hard for it.

This summer proves to be a hot one. I think the splashing pool and sprinkler is bound to get a good amount of use. But mostly, I think there are two boys in my family that are learning about being winners, and compared to their rough starts in life, that's a very good thing to be.

No comments: