Monday, May 17, 2010

Speechless.

There are days that leave me totally speechless.

Last week I took my niece to pick up two puppies from a rescue organization. She has wanted shepherd mix puppies for quite some time now, and the 3 hour round trip drive seemed like a good time with 2 nieces, their 5 children and my 3 youngest. We planned fast food lunch, and snacks on the way back if the kids could all play nice together.

Other than needing to use the little potty or finding a corn field for the boys, the trip down was eventless. Until we got to the puppy farm.

I told myself for days that I sure wouldn't get a puppy again. I mean, this trip for me was just a way to spend time with my nieces and their kids. A road trip. Been there, done that. 7 kids at home already, who needed a puppy?

Evidently, I did. As we were leaving I told the lady in charge of the operation that if she had a kitten, I wouldn't be able to leave with out one, but shepherd puppies were simply too big for my life. We have our 3 year old char pei, yellow lab mix, Baby Butterscotch, who is a real honey and a great watch dog to boot. She is completely house broken, protective of my kids, and never a bother. I don't like puppies.

But then she showed me her "other" pups. Oh, I should never have walked behind her house to the kennels! There were so many puppies of all types, and one certain puppy hung back with his head tilted just so, his dark eyes begging me to say "No."
I couldn't stand it!! The owner asked me if my husband liked puppies, or did I live in a house that was not appropriate for dogs? I explained our home, which really had nothing to do with my disdain of puppies.

Then the imploring fellow who stayed politely at the back of the crowd was lifted over the fence, into my arms, and all I could think of was how very much I LOVED puppies, wanted one, and how happy Mike would be to get this particular sweetie for his 50th birthday on the 29th.

Sold.

I had my niece waiting in the car with her puppies, already to go home, while I finished the transaction. Seems he gets his soft ears and wavy hair from the Cocker Spanial in his bloodline. His tail is cropped, and he has the most adorable white streak right between his tiny eyes, and a tuft of white fur on his chest. He is seven weeks of baby energy and just the transfer from his kennel to our car caused him to sleep almost the entire hour and 1/2 ride home. My niece took his photo, posted it to Mike's email, with a sappy note of birthday wishes from his loving wife (me). I knew he'd be as hooked as me once he saw this precious little critter.

Unfortunately, the 7 children take so much time with the baby dog that there is rarely any time left for Mike to do any significant bonding with his birthday pet. Except throughout the night.

It seems the box I choose for him to sleep in is not even a slight challenge for Pup to remove himself from. And he really prefers sleeping in the crook of Mike's arm, or between us, or on the pillow with his tiny head on Mike's shoulder.

Another one of my nieces, Ali, told us she had a puppy that was so adorable and tiny that she slept on her chest. There only problem is, the puppy grew into a 65 pound dog who still wants to sleep like that. Oops!!

So, forget creating bad habits, Mike continues to bring the puppy to bed with us, and the puppy is great at waking him up to take him outside. There are few accidents if he goes out every 2 hours. There is also very little sleep on the other side of my bed going on since puppy joined our nighttime routine.

Ah, the joys of puppies. Oh, and I found a gray and white fluffball kitten, the same age as the puppy. I asked Mike if I could get it, and since he could hardly refuse after the wonderful gift I had just gotten for him, I now am the proud mamma to a 7 week old kitten, with claws and sharp teeth, and a purr too big for his body, whom I named Martin.

Mike chose the name CARL for his miniature shadow, and I believe he will definately become this mans' best friend. I remain a cat person, but I can't stand to see this tiny dog all alone while Mike's at work. I know what you are thinking, but when I am holding and playing with the puppy while Mike is gone, it's really just because I don't want to see him lonely. After all, I really don't even like dogs.....

I guess in this case you could say I am speechless...and hopelessly in love with the two babies who joined our household last week.

No comments: