Friday, May 7, 2010

How Big is God?

"Mom, is God a King?"

We were coming home from dinner at a fast food joint, in the pouring rain, and I just wanted to get home and into my comfy jammies for the night.

"Yes, Mere', God is the King of Kings."

"Tommy said God is not a King."

Tommy jumped in, "I know God is alive, and I believe in Jesus, but I just don't think God is old enough to be a King."

Such heavy conversation from two kindergarteners. I really just wanted to get home.

"Yes, Tom. Even if you don't believe it, God is the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. The Bible tells us about how big God is."

"But, I don't know how old God is. Is He old enough to be a King? Is he older than Grampa or Grandma?"

I wasn't sure which grandma he was talking about, but I replied, "Yes, Tom, God is bigger and older than grampa and gramma. God has always been here, and is the biggest of anyone we know!"

The conversation was not over yet. "So, is God older, even older than dad?"

Oh yes, God is even older than dad. As I began to answer that one, he turns to his six siblings in the back of the van, and says, "Hey, mom says God is older than grandpa and grandma, and even older than DAD!!"

If only life's lessons could all be so easy to grasp with just a little bit of belief and a whole lot of conversation to help me understand them all.

Yes, God is older, bigger and more powerful than I give HIM credit for. And that is an answer I just can never waiver on. My God is a BIG, OLD GOD!! Oh, yeah!!!

Thanks, kids, for the uplifting discussion. It never hurts to cover the basics, does it?

No comments: