Monday, March 8, 2010

Getting Out of Dodge!!

I am counting down the days!!

I am "getting out of dodge," so to speak, on Thursday. It's not so much that I need a break or anything, it's the object of my trip that is so exciting.

I am going to see my New Jersey grandsons!!

I am fortunate that my husband is sensitive to my need for space. We have devised a wonderful plan most weeks where I take two nights away from the house to do or go wherever my heart leads me. Sometimes I go pick up all the things from the grocery store that I couldn't focus on with 4 or more little ones in tow. Sometimes I find a dollar store or discount store and check out everything on every shelf throughout the entire facility. Sometimes I join a friend for dinner or a movie (or, happily, both in one night!!). Being home with kids can be trying, and I feel much more refreshed after my nights out, much more capable of being a good mom once I find my own center again.

But these type of long weekends are more fabulous than that. This is an across-the-states flight to the welcoming home of my son, my dear daughter-in-law, and those big cheeked, smiling eyes of the most beautiful boys in the world. Kaiden, Keegan, and Keane.

The time will go too slow before I leave, too fast after I get there, and not nearly soon enough to the next visit. I count the days between visits by how much they grow, how many more words they say, and the type of things we are able to do when we are together. This time, I have a couple new books to read them, hopefully fit in a movie while we are there, and of course, a walk along the beach gathering perfect shells before I leave. And, they have 11 puppies in their home right now, so I am sure there will be NO lack of excitement.

I catch myself praying selfishly sometimes. I wish they were closer to us, where PaPa can enjoy them too. I wish their home was as close as my oldest daughter in town, so a visit could be arranged whenever the whim should hit either of us. I wish we could call them on sunday morning and arrange a picnic that afternoon. Or when I find a new place to go sightseeing and looking at dear running across the fields, I could just pick them up and we could go around or about. But that is selfish. They are thriving and learning so very much right where they are planted!!

I love these boys, and I am grateful for their parents who do a wonderful job in raising them to be happy and healthy. They surf, they skateboard, they get to experience wonderful adventures that they couldn't have here. And who knows, as the wind blows and God leads, maybe one day they will be closer to home for us to have more contact. But until that day, how nice to feel the welcome when I tell them I am hopping an airplane this week so that I can be there just as long as possible so that I can get hugs to last me for the months when they are not around.

I will miss my babies here, but I am soooo very thankful for the time I will get to be with my babies there!

Grandkids have to be the best part of life, and I am so very happy that I will be loving on mine really soon!! Here I come, New Jersey. I hope you leave the lights on for me!!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

How exciting! Enjoy your visit.