Saturday, October 30, 2010

Moving Forward

As of Thursday, October 28, our dossier is in the mail!
The significance of this is not light to our other friends who have adopted internationally. For those of you who have not worked on an international adoption, let me explain.

When we first decided to follow God's plan for adopting internationally, we had not focused on where we would end up. We just knew we were suppose to begin.

We had adopted 7 children from the state foster system, all the while feeling as if our adoption days were not over. We still had a strong desire to make a home for the homeless, be a family to a child who would have no family if we didn't step up to the challenge. It was not a decision we started without a ton of consideration (our ages, our current situation with each of our children and our future). But we felt compelled to move forward and follow God's plan.

Sometimes, following the path God outlines is not the easiest. There have been bumps in the road, issues with the kids in our home, and a failed domestic adoption. I waivered several times in my mission - but my heart cry always came back to the orphans. Mike has been much more focused on the final outcome, and did not get as discouraged on the path as I had. He has steadily encouraged our family to continue to move forward, even when our heart was breaking. So we have.

I read on a blog post somewhere that International Adoption is not for the faint of heart. Oh, so true! The emotional roller coaster of the intense trainings, mounds of paperwork and time frames take it's toll. I would throw my hands up, wondering if God was really in this plan. Was it just my heart wanting to help a poor child, or was it really what we were suppose to do in our family?

It would be so nice to know the mind of God! But since we can not, we commit to follow and open the doors as He brings us to them. This dossier was the last door in our journey. It will not be the last one we open, but up to this point, we are convinced, without a shadow of a doubt, that we are following the path we are suppose to be walking.

Many tears have gone into the preparation of these priceless documents. Life continues to happen around us, but this important phase of our journey is done. It was a relief to send them off to the processing center, and NOW we wait.

We wait for the documents to be translated. We wait for the dossier to make it to the Ethiopian officials who will refer an orphan to us. We wait for court dates and details to be completed. We wait to bring our children home.

There were many times I was "faint of heart" and was tired of the struggle. I was exhausted from the paper chase, and tired of the details that consumed me. That part is finished.

I want to celebrate, to kick up my heels and sigh in relief. Inside my heart is so grateful to have this behind me now.

I have heard that a long paperchase can lead to a short referral process. There is no science behind that, but it sure would be nice to think that is true! Either way, it is in the hands of God, who set us on this course and has never stopped pushing us forward.

Thanks for waiting with us. I will definitely keep you posted!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

So happy that this part of the process has been completed. Now onto the wait for referral and the hope that it really will be a short one.