Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Red Hair day

I decided to cut costs this summer. I have made my own laundry detergent and stain removers, and a huge batch of hot cocoa mix (that my 6 year old can't seem to get enough of). I elected to color my own hair today, and forgo a trim until it's just impossible to style anymore. We are remodeling several rooms in our home, making it a huge project that could be costing us much, much more in supplies and decorations were it not for the fact that I really love being frugal, and clearance shopping is my hobby.
Now, I have friends that proclaim me NUTS!! Yes, I love shopping, and spending, but I have my limits. And I do like "things." I look long and hard for a bargain, and have taught myself to buy what I can use immediately, or at least have a plan for how/when it can be used soon. I purchase gifts in advance, when I find them, and stow them until the given day. I love to surprise myself with how inexpensively I can outfit each new room, and still be proud of it.
So as I sit here pondering all my savings, the $3.oo box of red dye sinking in to cover the grey, I am thankful that I learned frugality from my parents, and am also proud of the fact that I am passing it down to my kids. Sometimes the best things in life can be found on sale....or clearance. And maybe tomorrow I will ponder my love of recycling.

No comments: