Thursday, June 2, 2011

School Daze

The school year is coming to a close in the next week, and I was thinking back about the milestones each of the kids has made this year.

Tyler, although a few detentions have frustrated me, has brought his grades up to honor roll status. Just yesterday he informed me he had gotten a 100% on his powerpoint presentation. I think that's impressive, but I was especially glad to hear that the report he chose to focus on was about a physically handicapped young woman. He called her one of his heroes. I liked that. Good job and a great way to end his Jr. High career. He will be a freshman next year. Wow.

Nicole has been in three musicals this year. It seems our van knows the route to practices better than I did! She has determined acting is her LIFE, and knowing her dramatic flair, I think I agree!! She is almost on the all A honor roll, except for her advisory class, which she didn't know turning in assignments was really what the teacher meant...lol...She has developed a mature singing voice, and loves singing and playing her keyboard. Choir has been her favorite class this year. We bought a piano last month so hopefully some lessons are in the near future. She is much taller than me, much prettier than she believes, and much smarter than she gives herself credit for. She will be in 8th grade in the fall, and wants to be an adult more than anything in the world. Sigh...

Nelly, sweet Nelly, is more capable of making friends with strangers than anyone I have ever known. She has had many highs in her school work, and just as many lows. She has no problem doing homework, but it never makes it to the teachers desk until it's marked down to half credit. She scores very high on all her tests, but her method of daily work will need MUCH encouragement when she enters Jr. High in the fall. She enjoyed playing band this year, with my old flute, but wants to try choir next year. She is looking forward to her 6th grade graduation ceremony next week, while I am flying to Jersey. Bad planning on my part, but Daddy will be the videographer in my stead. Big year of learning, growing and changing. She is excited about moving to the big school next fall

Tara. The Reactive Attachment Disorder child that would have trouble attaching and bonding. Wow...she fooled them! Her teacher refers to her at sweet, gentle and bright. She is still the biggest dog lover on the planet, and perhaps the most mischievous of all the kids. She has maintained her strong friendship with a boy named Phoenix that has got to be her exact match in energy and spunk. She is hoping they have the same teacher next year too! She is making great strides in her hand control and writing assignments, and has even caught dad in his misspelling a time or two! She LOVES snacking, making her own ramen or mac and cheese, and can smell candy where ever she is. She is a strong leader, and learning to be a positive one at that. She is going into 3rd grade, and we are excited about the wonderful progress she has made. My blue-eyed beauty, that I swear has a little bit of snake inside of her!!

Meredith, Meredith, Meredith. What a stinker she has become this year!! She is the most loving of all the littles, and wants to hug and kiss everyone. She found out that whining gets her attention, whether or not it's negative!! She is still best friends with Tommy and relies on him probably too much. It's part of the reason they
will be going into separate classrooms for first grade, and she is already nervous about it. She is learning to sound out words, and write her numbers and alphabet letters the right way. She is a lefty and hates her glasses. But her best friends again this year are twins Cali and Cash. She is loving and kind and has been heard to ask others if they have birth moms too! She is starting to understand the whole adoption picture, and is excited about welcoming our new boys this summer.

Thomas prefers to be called Tommy. Not Tom. Not Thomas. He is the smartest kid and has gotten extra attention in school to challenge him. When I asked him how his special reading class was going, he said he wanted to quit. I asked him why would he quit something that he was so good at? He is a tremendous reader! This is how the conversation went:
Me: It's special to have someone extra to read with.
Tommy: I don't' like it.
Me: Why not?
Tommy: My teacher doesn't know anything.
Me: What? Why do you think that?
Tommy: She keeps asking me what a word is. She says, "Tommy, can you tell me
what this word says?" She doesn't even know as much as me.
Me: sigh...
He is the one I ask to fix the TV when I can't understand the remote. He is uber-independent. He loves being outside, bugging the dogs, or searching for a treasure. He is kind when he wants to be, and rowdy when I don't want him to be. He is sensitive and can get his feelings hurt, but he's also quickest to laugh at a joke that the others wouldn't get. First grade. All day school. It just happened too fast for this mamma.

Bella-Boo. She is so excited about going to preschool in the fall. She is registered at the same preschool that started with Nelly and all of the kids since that. She has been in that room for 4 years with parties for the other kids, so she is excited that it is finally her turn! She gave up her pacifier finally, but every now and then will ask for it. NOPE~ sometimes I think she just needs the reaffirmation that she really is a big girl! She is also looking forward to our babies coming home, and prays diligently for them. She rides a bike without training wheels, and exhibits more Independence than I wish she had! She calls me "her majesty" (without prompting!)and gives me tons of hugs and kisses all day long. I know she will change once she gets to school, and I treasure these days with her.

Our two African Angels will be joining us this summer. It's been a long almost 3 years of waiting. The longest pregnancy yet! But we are excited and ready to welcome them into the family and start their healing.

The days are full and busy. Once school is over, the summer fun begins. I am looking forward to the days ahead, making memories and watching the children grow.
I just wish I could keep them from growing up so fast!

No comments: