Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Puppling

My niece brought home her 4 lb. baby today. Not only is it a miracle that we was born at 32 weeks gestation, and has had NO medical issues, but he also is the long-awaited sibling to 3 beautiful children, all of whom have been with us for the past seven weeks while their mom kept the baby safe.

My niece loves children like I do. When friends would ask us why we volunteered to keep three small children and love them like our own for nearly two months, we had a hard time putting words to it.

I think we defined it, eventually, this way: because we could.

Having 7 kids at home, some of them the very same ages of my great nieces and nephew, means we are set up for kids. And once you hit seven, 3 more doesn't really seem that much more.

I don't work outside the home, like all the other family members. Plus, I love children.

My great nieces and nephew were used to being here, since their mom is also my friend, we have spent alot of time during this past year running around together, going to movies, and scrapbooking. We enjoy each others company.

I love her children, they are my family.

God places us in situations where we can help others. This was a situation where I could help.

I knew her fourth pregnancy was not planned, but she has a wonderful husband and enjoys her children, so from the very beginning, I knew I would help out if she needed me to.

Her pregnancies don't ever make it full term, so when we went on our vacation towards her seventh month, it made sense to take the kids with us, "just in case." She was already on bedrest, so the goal was to keep her pregnant as long as possible. We almost made it home, but my niece was taken to the hospital when her water broke, on a Saturday night so we knew the most likely ones to keep the kids would be us...they had been with us to Jersey and back, and were settled in here. It made perfect sense.

Fortunately, the time on complete bedrest allowed my niece to keep the baby safely below her heart for a few weeks longer, making his birth 2 weeks ago a much healthier birth for the baby.

So, as we all waited for updates from the hospital on this tiny, sweet miracle, he grew and got stronger. So strong that today he was able to come home to a very excited family who welcome him.

Today also marks the last night of my little visitors. They will be returning home tomorrow to begin the adjustment to their newest family member. We will reposition our kids in their own beds again, and get back on our regular family schedule. I will pack their clothes and toys tomorrow, and gather up the things I can find that need to go home with them. I will close the door to our nursery, waiting for the Ethiopian children that will join our family soon.

Until then, I am thankful for the time to love my niece, her children, and welcome such a precious new baby into the family. My 6 year old, Meredith, called him a little Puppling today. Somehow, that really fits.

Welcome little baby Jack. See you soon, Nila, Macy and Liam. Thank you, Tona and Billy, for allowing us to love your children. It's time for you all to be together and build your family. I will miss seeing them day to day. It's been an exciting seven weeks together which none of us will ever forget.

Holding baby Jack today made every bit of the past seven weeks worth it.

Welcome to this crazy world, Baby Jack. You are much loved. And you have a wonderful family that I am especially fond of.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

You and your niece are very fortunate to have each other. Not everyone has family or friends they can count on to that level and how awesome that "The Puppling" now gets to experience life with his wonderful family.